Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tilda with Cracker on a Scandinavian Woven Heart Basket



Happy December!! I hope that all of you are well and at least partially settled into the holiday season which is right upon us all!!! First off I would like to express my sincere thanks to Helena for featuring my blog on Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket on Saturday, November 28. I am indeed so honored and so appreciative for all of the kind words. Thank you, Helena!!!

This month at Magnolia-licious the very talented Cheryl decided that, rather than a sketch, that all of the DT members would do a SHAPED card, meaning something rather than the ordinary square or rectangle...I hope that's what she meant..lol So the very first thing I thought about were the Scandinavian woven heart baskets since our beloved Maggies are from Sweden.

Affectionately known in Sweden as "Jhärtkorgar", the traditional whimsical Scandinavian Woven Heart Baskets were woven out of paper. The Danish fairytale writer – Hans Christian Andersen - created the very first woven heart in the mid 1800s. This original woven heart still exists today, exhibited in its home country for all to see; reminding us of the power of love. The tradition of making woven hearts was very much a Scandinavian secret. Families in Scandinavia would sit down and weave these lovely paper hearts in the days leading up to Christmas. The woven hearts would then be hung on their Christmas trees, with some bearing gifts of candies or cookies inside them to surprise their children.

And knowing that I only make 6X6 cards because often I use a presentation box, I had to formulate a heart that would be 6X6 (on its side), would fit in the box, and would have equal sized slats for me to weave...Not an easy task for a non-mathematical brain like me!!! Anyway, I used Bazzill for the base and two DPs from the New Magnolia Christmas Collection -- Lingonberry and Wrapped Plaid. On the front of the card/basket/ornament is the most darling Tilda with Christmas Cracker who has just arrived at Magnolia-licious and is waiting on you there!!! She was stamped twice on Cryogen White, colored with Copics and a touch of Spica, cut out and propped up on dimensional tape. I used a bit of Diamond Glaze on the ornament and Spica gold and silver on the cracker. I added a couple of leaves and a Prima poinsettia with a snowman dangle, a Hunter green organza bow and ribbon and finally distressed all edges of the heart with white acrylic paint. The back of the card is the jotting place to which I just added some snowflake and snowman buttons to repeat from the front.

Here are the front and back views of the heart basket and the presentation box:




All of the details on the box are actually buttons with the shanks removed...I also added a tiny bit of FlowerSoft, some Diamond Stickles on the snowflakes, and Liquid Applique on the trees (a last minute thought which you will note below).


This may give you a better idea of what the set looks like with the heart basket filled with peppermint sticks...of course any kind of little gift could be placed inside.


You can find all of the details for this December project over on the Magnolia-licious Highlites site so I hope you will join us.

Thank you so much for coming by to see me today and I hope you will let me know what you think of my SHAPED project. I don't know how many of the DT have their SHAPED cards up yet, but I do know that the quintessentially creative Claudia is posting her beauty today so be sure to hop over there and have a peek, too!!! And check back at the Magnolia-licious Highlites site over the coming days to see other examples. Please come back often and until we meet again, BIG Maggie hugs for you!!!

62 comments:

Barb Hardeman said...

What a stunning set Jacque! You did your weaving to perfection and then made a basket which was heart shaped. That's a lot of work for sure. Beautiful job, just beautiful!!!
hugs,
Barb

KanataNewf said...

Wow -- I don't think I could ever weave paper that perfectly. Lovely project.

Sharon Caudle said...

Wow!! What a beautiful shaped card, Jacque! Love the woven basket technique and the details are amazing as always! Fantastic set! I love it! hugs!

Stampin'Piper said...

Jacque my friend, this is adorable! I've made such a woven heart in school with my daughter and a maggie one is on my to do list :) I love yours, it's perfect :)

Have a great day, big Hugs Tanja

Cami said...

Oh. My. Goodness. JACQUE! YOU have done it again! What a wonderful idea to make a woven heart! It is so perfect and so beautiful! I love to read the story behind your projects...I was never a good student in history LOL! I'm learning from you!!! Just gorgeous! You leave me speechless. Not only is this woven heart with that beautifully colored Tilda a beauty, but so is the presentation box, front and back! I've tried making these for Valentine's Day but let me tell you it came out crooked! Love, love, love this! Astounding (again!). Hugs, Cami

Fran said...

This is beautiful, I remember making something similar to this when I was young, but I don't think I could do it now :) I love making projects so I dill definitly try to play along with this challenge.
I love the papers, I got some last week and now wish I had ordered the berry one too.

Candy said...

Hi Love,
I wish you could hear my voice as I tell you how marvelous your creations are today!! What a ton of work! Your heart is terrific and of course so is Tilda and beautifully coloured as always. You have the best ideas and do so much work! Your presentation box is just awesome as well. I love the heart filled with the peppermint sticks ~ I can just imagine the recipents face as she opened up this wonderful gift!!!!
Big hugs, Candy

Rosette said...

Wo hooo another stunner from wonderful Jacqu!! Heck.. on your blog, when you think you have seen it all.. here you come with another marvellous idea that really shines!! Papers, Maggies , embellies.. everything wondeful!! Big huggies to the bestest!! xx

Sarah said...

Oh my word, that is so completely beautiful I can't find the right words to describe how wonderful this is. I love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!

Julye said...

Beautiful card iys a gift initself Julye

Jayne Hayward said...

Oh its absolutely beautiful and I love the Magnolia papers you have used on it. The colours are just great.

Jayne xx

Chrissie said...

Oh Jacque! I think you've outdone yourself on this, it's absolutely beautiful!
Your colouring is superb, as always, and I love the idea of the little heart basket (I'm quite into 'bags' at the moment)
I shall pop over to the blog to see if there are instructions on how you make your little boxes as I often have quite 'chunky' cards and I'm absolutely useless at making boxes!!

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Cheryl said...

Wonderful, Jacque and this is exactly what I meant! The detail on your cards is always so well thought out and BEAUTY-Ful!
(I'll have mine posted on Thursday!)

Nancy said...

Oh my Jacque LOVE LOVE LOVE your woven heart basket & presentation box! You are so amazing and I love the stories that you tell us! I do not even know how to tell you how beautiful I think this is!!! I love every detail down to the tiniest detail! You are truely amazing!
Hugs,
Nancy

Tracey said...

Jacque, I LOVE this!! Incredible! You never fail to amaze me darlin!! xx

Sharon said...

Oh Jacque, what a gorgeous creation once again and such an interesting story. Love your stories! You have an absolutely amazing talent for turning everything you create into gold! Take care, hugs Sharon xx

Monique said...

This is beautifull Jacque.

Hugs Monique

Angela (SCS monkeymama) said...

So cute! Love the woven heart and those stripes on her petticoat and stockings! Great embellishing!

Anonymous said...

Jacque, I'm always learning something interesting when I visit your blog :o). This woven heart basket/card is just beautiful and I can't wait to try to make one myself - will put on my "to-do" list. Hugs, Angela W.

Dawn B. said...

This is just beautiful Jacque. I have not made on of these since my girls were little.. What a great way to showcase your Maggie.. Super job my friend.

Claudia Rosa ~ Pretty Pressings said...

you make me laugh hun!
wow wow wo.. what a beautiful card and set. i love that you went with a heart shaped card! super cute idea you totally inspired me.

love and hugs

Lauren said...

Jacque,

Great shaped card! I have seen Scandinavian hearts before, but never knew the story behind them - thanks for filling me in! This is a wonderful idea for a Christmas card!

Lauren

Helen said...

Wow! Those are gorgeous!
Blessings!
~H

PaperSunshine said...

Oh this is just gorgeous! Love the heart and the paper is so pretty!
hugs, Lori

Jessica G. said...

Wow! I love, LOVE this Tilda on her woven basket, Jacque!! Beautiful coloring and those DPs have the perfect Skandinavian feel. Now you've inspired me to find a tutorial so the girls and I can make some of these for our Christmas tree and to give to friends. Awesome creation, my friend!!

Larisa said...

So beautiful card!!! You are always talented with cardmaking =)

Katie said...

Gorgeous!
I love paper weaving and this is a perfect example!
Fabulous color choices and the coloring of Tilda is wonderful!

Deb (dcorder) said...

The woven heart totally says "Sweden" to me! I love this card!

Ila said...

Absolutely Amazing...and So Cute!!..I love the woven heart!!...Hugs, Ila

Suzan L said...

Jacque, This is such an adorable shape card!! I love how you weaved the two DP's together to make this sweet heart. The papers look so wonderful together. And, Tilda is colored in so beautifully. I also love the presentation box...it is so cute with those buttons!! Thank you for giving us the history behind this Christmas tradition. Every time I see one of your cards, you inspire me to be more creative. I just love it!
Hugs, Suzan

Tineke's hobby said...

I like the woven hart very much i livet in Danmark now i'am thinking about it again.
It's beautiful
Ilike all your cards very much
Tineke

Anonymous said...

Wow what a beautiful heart Jacque. Love the image you've used and the colours also. Pretty papers and details to.
I love this heart!!!!

Hugs Jannie.

Janet said...

Jacque, you've done it again!! SO cute!! I'll have to put trying that card shape on a "to-do" list!!

Hugs,
Janet

Kelly Schelske said...

Oh my Jacque!! It's fabulous!

Moni said...

Gorgeous project, love the heart card chape. So fab image and great papers! Love your colouring! Hugs,Moni

Riet said...

Ohh wowww Jacque,what beautiful,i love the image and colours.

Hugs Riet.x

Anonymous said...

What a stunning creation, Jacque!! This is absolutely MAGICAL. You are just the most amazing artist. You paired the perfect Maggie with this beautiful heart. Hugs, Christina C.

Diamond Doll said...

WOW Jacque these are absolutely stunning .Congrats on being featured on Inspirational but i,m not surprise your work is Fab.
Trish (-:

Regina said...

Jacque!!!! You did it again... and again!!!!:))) Your set is precious and absolutely stunning!!!!:)))
You never ceases to amaze me. Fabulous work!!
Love and hugs

Regina

Danni said...

So gorgeous!! This is just so nice!

Jackie Randolph said...

Jacque - BEAUTIFUL! girl you just keep knocking them out of the park! This is over the top Fabulous! Love it!

Norma said...

Jacque, another masterpiece. What a terrific job you did in figuring out how to make this card just the right size for your presentation box. Not easy I bet. Thanks for the info on the origin and traditions behind the woven heart. Love your incredible attention to details in every project you make.

Hugs.
Norma

Grenouille Greetings said...

This heart and box set is beautiful. Such pretty colours and lovely colouring! Warmest wishes, Lesley

Shazza said...

gorgeous work Jacque
x

thread-bare said...

Aww this is just such a lovely gift. The traditional gifts are sometimes so more meaningful than the expensive ones xxx Clare x

Patricia Garcia said...

Super set, love the colors and the woven heart!!

Hugs,
Patricia

pcrusberg said...

How pretty! I just love the image and the woven heart...love the story behind that too! Thanks! Pam

Eulanda said...

That weave is gorgeous and I just LOVE looking at this card. Beautiful!!! I wish I lived right next door to take Copic lessons....heck any lessons!! LOL!!

Vivi Casale said...

WOW Sweetie, this card is absolutely gorgeous!!
I love the heart shape card you made!!
xoxo
Vivi

Lori aka Lo Lo said...

This is beautiful!!! Great job sweetie!

xoxo,
Lori

Lilian said...

Oh wow Jacque! I am *so* casing you heart card someday! LOL! Thanks for sharing! Gorgeous gorgeous work!

Lilian said...

Forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS on being featured on Inspirations blog! Big hugs your way!

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

Oh Jacque! What a darling woven heart card! I remember making those as a child.........usually for Valentine's Day to hold the cards & treats. Your creations never cease to amaze me!!!
Huggies ~
Sharron ♥

Kim said...

What an amazing project hun! I love it and you did PERFECT with the math part of it! :) Such a beautiful creation! CONGRATS on being featured too!
Big Hugs~ Kim
PS - Only 2 more weeks and then I can play full-time in the craft room for a month!

Shelly said...

Wow! Your woven heart is gorgeous, Jacque!!! It's going to make a lovely gift presented in that beautiful box. I enjoyed learning about the history of the woven heart. Thanks!

Lisa said...

It's funny that the hearts are cold Scandinavian hearts, I didn't know that and I'm from Sweden!! Stunning work Jacque!

Jodie from Oz said...

Jacque, Woohoooooo congrats to you for you highlight on Inspirational, but certainly not surprising.

Wow wow wow. This is a beautiful shaped card, I just love the woven basket look and your details are amazing. A beautiful gift set.
Hugs Jodie from Oz

Andrea said...

oo oo oo - your heart basket is sooooooo beautiful, fantastic, gorgeous!!! Love the weaving, and Tilda is so cute.
Love, Andrea xx

debbies said...

Absolutely stunning Jacque!!! I love this little basket and the story behind it.

Charlie said...

Again - lovely - and yes we make these in Denmark too.

Caroline said...

Again - lovely - and yes we make these in Denmark too.